Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart phone proximity inverse correlates with cognitive capacity
http://www.futurity.org/phones-cognitive...y-1470932/

«We see a linear trend that suggests that as the smartphone becomes more noticeable, participants’ available cognitive capacity decreases. [...] Your conscious mind isn’t thinking about your smartphone, but that process—the process of requiring yourself to not think about something—uses up some of your limited cognitive resources. It’s a brain drain.»

Sounds like addiction to me.
Ha - horrified but not surprised! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Alexander. I'm gonna add this to my "smart phones are bad" pile of studies.
I became extremely disillusioned with my smart phone about two years and ended up smashing it with a mallet after a series of bad phone calls. It was more social, the reason -- but I'd venture to say being within reach of an active Internet connection has similar effects as the ones these studies have found.

EDIT: Stopped trusting them when you could no longer remove batteries. If you're a regular user and care about your freedom, check out Faraday cage bags. I have one I always bring to political discussion. Also, the concept of mic proximity is important.
(Sat, 15 Jul 2017 15:24:31 +0000, 03:24 PM)Zhachev Wrote: Stopped trusting them when you could no longer remove batteries.

^Exactly - I vividly remember when I realized this about smart phones.