Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello
Noice
Wew Lad!
Hey all,

I'm pretty slow with the remote communication these days - probably something to do with my newfound 10:00 PM bedtime (charging into an old man lifestyle these days).

Responding in chronological order here:

elmerludd: Yeah, these are the people that make me feel I should eschew the @ label altogether, especially when I read something like this: http://anarchistnews.org/content/open-le...black-bloc

ValdnPwnd: Thanks for the kind words. Whereabouts in Washington, if you don't mind my asking? I know a few people up there engaged in somewhat similar efforts.

ZFG: Yeah, I've wandered about since then, helping out with Little Black Cart and Enemy Combatant. I am hoping to put together the first issue of the forest gardening publication this winter, once things slow down here. I'll probably post about it here as it comes together.

Matt: Yes, I know the TB comment you mean, and I believe I know one of your @news aliases as well - glad to see you are on here. If you do think travel is in the future for you, please drop me a line at bellamyfitzpatrick@riseup.net. As for the subsistence/withdrawal praxis, I am happy to talk about it but am not sure where to begin - do you have more specific questions?

Zhachev: In my opinion, the further from a "revolutionary" praxis, the better. Interesting to hear about West Virginia in that context - the only time I spent there was something like seven years ago, when I was involved in anti-mountaintop removal-type activism. Is WV not slated to get drier with climate change? My cohorts and I decided on upstate NY for reasons similar to the ones you listed (though we'd probably be screwed if multiple nuclear power plants melted down, ha).
Bellamy, agreed about 'revolutionaries'. About climate change, need to dig for specifics but that area is less suseptible to heat and droughts from what little research I've done.

Ever get a chance to check out nihcom?
Regarding your "old man hours", it's sun logic! Ethan Hughes talked about "mammal time," I think it was this podcast. Most mammals I can think of are diurnal, but I am not an omnibiologist. His point was, and I think this applies to folks attempting symbiosis with the land, there is a lot more for mammals to see and do during the daytime. Living without oil and electricity, as he does, means living without artificial light. Here in WA during our short northern-winter days, I and folks I know often go to bed at 8! The better to be up with the land at no later than 6. 

I'm in Mason County, WA, 90 min from Seattle (by ferry or driving), 45 min from Olympia (lovely city, as cities go) and in the heart of a temperate rainforest with 66" rain/year. I've met lots of folks who want to live like I do...more than when I lived in NYC for 20 years. But these folks here don't share any radical inclinations with me (even my armchair type) and I miss that dimension to conversations. Further, I can't really call what I'm doing a land project because it's me, my GF (my only radical lifeline out here), an anarcho-incurious community of awesome knowledgeable old folks (mostly lefty veterans) and some satellite collaborators from other areas. So it has an unfortunate resemblance to gentleman farming.

That's to say, I'd love to interact and collaborate with a broader regional community. I welcome you sharing my info with them or vice versa. And if you haven't already, I hope you get in touch with Woodbine in NYC. I really enjoyed my time with them and think you all might have some fruitful conversations, especially considering their project to expand up north.

Looking forward to your pub. The intersection of @-permativism, as it were, is sorely underdeveloped. I was chuffed when I saw this podcast in which MC Sole interviews Stephen Polk, but on listening found it a little thin. I still have faith in land projects, not in much else really.
Bellamy, I may very well drop you a line via email when my future plans become clearer. I could be looking at a fairly substantial chunk of time before traveling outside the country becomes financially viable again (the unfortunate realities of global capitalism and whatnot), but I appreciate the offer and will definitely keep it in mind.

Regarding specific questions on your horticulture/foraging/subsistence project, I have to admit that I really don't feel sufficiently educated on the subject pose any poignant questions. I'll probably do a little of my own reading on the subject and, if any any specific questions come to mind as a result, I'll certainly post them here. Meanwhile, if there's any relevant literature you could recommend, I'd definitely give it a look. If not, I'm sure I can come up with something.