Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you arrive at anti-civ thought?
What pushed you in the direction of anti-civ thought? What grabbed your attention?

For me, it was the unlikeliest of sources. When I was 13 or 14 I received J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, and was utterly consumed by it.

I'd always been intuitively anti-authoritarian. And I had this notion that getting rid of authorities and money, and distributing wealth according to need, would — to me obviously — make the world a better place. And then I heard about anarchism at school at 11 or 12 or so, and looked it up on Wikipedia, and subsequently read Kropotkin. I realised that my ideas weren't too original or incredible, but that people had actually been thinking along these lines for hundreds of years. So I read more and more, and became convinced by free communism. Baby, I was a teenage anarchist!

Then I got The Lord of the Rings as a present by my brother. I knew about it from the films that were out, even if I hadn't seen them at this point. Being a still fantasy geek at the time, I was completely blown away by what I now consider to be the genre's magnum opus by far. All aspects of it were amazing. The unique style of writing and narrative, the rich world and characters, what I now know as "Tolkien's Frameless Picture," and so on and so on.

But one thing that didn't pass me by, as a tech geek, was that it was relatively overtly anti-industrial, where Kropotkin & co certainly weren't. I always liked gadgets and computers. But it was around this time I had started becoming sceptical of large aspects of computing. Namely, that proprietary software was anything but anarchist. It was decidedly capitalist. Oppressive, authoritarian, monstrous. I soon realised that the same held for computer hardware, but at least with hardware being physical, the rights to copy and modify weren't as important to me, and it wasn't obvious how it would work. But I was very convinced by the free software argument. However, I certainly hadn't considered that maybe there's a bigger issue than just proprietary software — what if the entire infrastructure, logic, and institutions of technology were authoritarian? This kind of thinking was prodded by this unlikeliest of sources, The Lord of the Rings.

Down the rabbit hole I went, and here we are.

Other inspirations I can think of off the top of my head: rms and the free software movement, Kropotkin himself (particularly his section on division of labour in The Conquest of Bread, and his essay Anarchist Morality), Ted Kaczynski (particularly his take on the Ship of Fools), Foucault (first via his debate with Chomsky, John Zerzan's origin essays, the Earthlings documentary, and, finally, Fredy Perlman's Against His-Story, Against Leviathan!
I like Lord of the Rings as inspiration, that's great ! :)

Personally I grew up in a household surrounded by animals, my Mum runs a wildlife rescue centre, and so from early on we always had different critters around. Learning to make connections and observe birds especially was something that stayed with me, learning the calls and songs and forming relationships with different species is fundamental to me. Even now whereever I am birdsong is like a second skin for me, you can tell whats going on around you from the sounds and alarm calls.

I was into Daoism as a young teen which moved into communism and then into anarchism. By sixteen I was your classic black hoody wearing vegan squatter. Anti-civ thought as a feeling was always a reaction to the artificial and unnatural surroundings of cities and concrete, I wanted to break everything and the whole consumerism/car-culture/mortgage life was just toally alien to me. I always had that connection to something 'wild', something untamed. I loved wolves as a child especially, and that desire to be free and unconstrained just kept growing.

The more hard edged environmental politics grew with my activism, and although I won't divulge stuff publically its fair to say I'd seen plenty of eco-action over the years which hardened my resolve to see real change. Most of my attention was focused on refugee work in other countries but it became clear that climate change was the driver of everything and in the driver's seat was civilisation.

I had a divorce from the activist/anarchist scene a few yrs back, just got fed up with chain smoking vegan cultists, and went back to studying. The biosciences opened up whole new fields of ideas for me and I learnt more in depth about evolutionary theory and I could understand the paleoanthropology better. The resulting mix has left me skeptical of everything but believing that the demise of civilisation is both necessary and inevitable.
My father, and his father and his grandfather, were all professional trappers up until fur prices dropped so low as to make it not viable anymore. My parents were both always interested in nature too, and when I was very little they had 200 acres with a few camps on it we spent allot of time on. They tried to start a wildlife museum when I was little, which failed spectacularly and we went bankrupt and lived off the land for seven years cause we had no money to do otherwise. For three years we were almost entirely self-sufficient in our food supply, mostly from hunting and our huge garden. My mother spent weeks canning each summer from sunrise to sunset. When they finally got enough money to move and get normal jobs (yeah, they had to make a certain amount of money just to be able to afford to have a job in the first place...) and live more normally I decided I hated it and wanted to go back to the woods as soon as possible. I ended up running away from school and studying at a monastery for a while, then apprenticing as a farrier, and then finally getting my own piece of land and building a log cabin to live in.

Taoism and Confucianism both influenced me allot too, and the 80th chapter of the Tao Te Ching is what I regard as utopia. Concurrent to all the nature stuff, I had a group of friends in highschool where we were trying to start our own country. It's changed many times since, and is more or less a philosophy or almost a religion type thing now, but it's entirely centered around nature and the concept of debate, and not spiritual whatsoever.
This thread is very interesting thanks for sharing guys.

As for me I was introduced to Buddhism & Stoicism at around 18. Due to some issues with my life I took to these philosophies right away. I initially "blended" in with my friends and society as a whole but as I began to pursue my practice more seriously I had to step away from a lot of things most people participated in. Consumerism, partying, mindless consumption of media etc.      

My "red pill" anti society moment was probably when I saw the documentary "The Century of The Self" which enlightented me on how consumerism has been engineered by preying on our basal desires. Reading Noam Chomsky and Jacques Ellul sent me further down this path. 

I discovered this forum through a link posted in Reddit in the Anticonsumption subreddit.

edit: Forgot to mention the last influence

Learning how social media companies have engineered the experience to be as addictive as possible.
Always loved being with Nature. Eventually...Reading Camatte, then Perlman and later Zerzan. My family were indigenous people, and I've always related to the struggles of indigenous people on a deeper, personal basis.
I'd say my personal experiences with being such and outdoorsman and being away from the urbanized lifestyle made me realize how utterly meaningless and brainless our current lifestyles and habits are. When i'm away from home and camping or doing backpacking trips I feel much more satisfied with the setting and tasks i am given, even when it a few week trip.
Wew Lad!