Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social media & manufactured addiction
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/the-s...-addiction

Social media uses manipulative tricks to ensure users become addicted. Richard Stallman has the right of it in his insistence of referring to Facebook users as abuseds. A plethora are reduced to increasingly meaningless lives as a result of hyper-alienated mass society. These poor people seek solace and meaning in vacuous comments and vapid "likes" as validation of their otherwise lonely existence.

It might have been a forgiveable mistake, a simple hack to make the service more useful. But that explanation is entirely precluded when we're talking about the likes of Facebook. Indeed, they quickly realised how to use this to their advantage. And they do.

I found the article rather informative, and a good overview of contemporary practices. But I found the conclusion disappointing, in which is effectively blames the abuseds, and excuses the companies as merely catering to the abuseds.

«[T]he average millennial checks his or her phone 157 times daily. That's a total average of 145 minutes every day that we're trying to feel connected, validated, and liked.»
I've heard pundits of various sorts comment recently that social media addiction is the new and trendy substitute for nicotine addiction.
(Wed, 31 May 2017 14:19:38 +0000, 02:19 PM)alexander Wrote: I found the article rather informative, and a good overview of contemporary practices. But I found the conclusion disappointing, in which is effectively blames the abuseds, and excuses the companies as merely catering to the abuseds.

Of course they do that alexander, it's Vice! The irony of their reporting on such a topic is likely not lost on you.

Thanks for the article..