Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing Food for Calories — General Resources and Info
Here's what I can offer to kick the thread off. This person got me growing 'market' quality (and quantity) mushrooms in a few months. Very helpful videos.

Can anyone recommend any good permaculture resources? thanks
(Thu, 01 Jun 2017 02:05:03 +0000, 02:05 AM)Zhachev Wrote: Here's what I can offer to kick the thread off. This person got me growing 'market' quality (and quantity) mushrooms in a few months. Very helpful videos.

Can anyone recommend any good permaculture resources? thanks

Thanks for this. Will check as soon as I am in a wifi zone again...and think about what I can contribute.

Have you been to permies.com? Very helpful permaculture forum bursting with info & advice.
Quote:Have you been to permies.com? Very helpful permaculture forum bursting with info & advice.

Thanks for the resource.

I'm on a mission today to start growing all-I-can-eat spinach. Fast grower, decent amount of protein, doesn't require a lot of feeding comparatively.

I'll aim to grow enough for two pounds a week, that equals eight pounds or so a month. Fifty days to maturity from seed. So I need to grow sixteen lbs at a time to be safe and meet all my needs. One quarter-pound can be grown per square foot. That means I need around sixty-four square feet of total growing area, or about four of my outdoor raised beds that are already in place. Those will wait until August due to summer.

I also have some room indoors to attempt a crop, but spinach tend to favor temperatures in the `60s, and my indoor area is around 75 degrees in the summer. Spinach seems to do OK near room temperature in hydro systems with water chillers, which is an option. The total indoor space readily available is twenty square feet or so. Without adding additional space, that area would yield around a half pound a week. If I can somehow double the indoor grow space available it could be worth a go.
Just a quick update: indoor spinach turned out well, just harvested it.

Got a bunch of rare Olive tree cuttings today. Found this charming fellow in the process:

[Video: http://<a href="https://www.youtube.com/...K70XIU</a>]